WINTERWONDERGRASS MUSIC AND BREWS FESTIVAL ARRIVES IN AVON
The WinterWonderGrass Music and Brews Festival, now in its second year, will be hosted in Avon’s Nottingham Park beginning the evening of Friday, February 21 through Sunday, February 23, 2014. The Town of Avon is excited to welcome this one-of-a-kind winter music event to our community and looks forward to the event bringing renowned musicians, performance art, craft beer and spirits to festival attendees, who will be dining and shopping in Avon over the weekend. The event is expected to host approximately 2,500 participants each day.
IMPORTANT PARKING, TRAFFIC & SAFETY MANAGEMENT PLANS FOR THE EVENT
Traffic Management, Temporary Street and Road Closures:
• Lake Street will be closed at the Avon Recreation Center west lot to Benchmark Road by the Municipal Building starting 6:00 a.m. Friday, February 21 ending at 3:00 a.m. Monday, February 24.
• Benchmark Road will be closed at the intersection of Riverfront Lane and Lake Street by the Municipal Building starting at 6:00 a.m. on Friday, February 21 until Monday, February 24 at 3:00 a.m.
Temporary Parking Lot Closures:
• Avon Recreation Center west parking lot will be closed starting at 8:00 a.m. Friday, February 21 to 3:00 a.m. Monday, February 24
• Municipal Building East Side will be closed starting at 9:00 p.m. Thursday, February 20 through 7:00 a.m. Tuesday, February 25
• Municipal Building West Side will be closed starting at 6:00 a.m. Friday, February 21 to 3:00 a.m. Monday, February 24
• Prater Lane/Seasons Lot will be closed starting at 8:00 a.m. Friday, February 21 to 3:00 a.m. Monday, February 24
Nottingham Park Recreational Path Closures:
Chain link fencing will be installed in Harry A. Nottingham Park on Thursday, February 20 and removed on Monday, February 24. There may be sections of the recreational path near the east end of the lake which will be inaccessible.
Avon Transit Schedules,
Including Modifications to Service:
• Festival attendees will be encouraged to use public transportation to/from the venue but those who drive will be directed to park in the Traer Creek parking lot (north rodeo lot). Avon Transit will provide 15 to 30 minute shuttle service from 2:00 p.m. – 2:00 a.m. between the Traer Creek lot and Avon Station Friday, February 21 and Saturday, February 22; service on this route will be from 2:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. on Sunday, February 23.
• Skier Express will not service the Lake Street stop starting Friday, February, 21 at 6:00 a.m. through Monday, February 24 at 6:00 a.m. Passengers/guests should use the Comfort Inn bus stop for morning bus service to Beaver Creek and the Sheraton Mountain Vista bus stop from Beaver Creek.
• Avon Black Line will not service the Lake Street stop starting Friday, February 21 at 6:00 a.m. through Monday, February 24 at 6:00 a.m. Passengers should use the Comfort Inn or Sheraton Mountain Vista bus stops.
• Avon/Beaver Creek Evening Restaurant Shuttle will not service the Lake Street stop starting Friday, February 21 at 6:00 a.m. through Monday, February 24 at 6:00 a.m. Passengers should use Avon Station for evening bus service.
• All other Avon Transit bus stops will operate as normally scheduled.
• Pedestrians are expected to walk through Avon from the Traer Creek parking lot utilizing sidewalks along Chapel Place, E. Benchmark Road, Beaver Creek Place, W. Benchmark Road and W. Beaver Creek Blvd.
• Avon Police will be managing pedestrian and vehicular traffic on Avon Road at the central roundabouts to provide for ease of pedestrian crossing throughout the three-day event.
Eagle River Fire Protection District Safety Reminder
ERFPD welcomes everyone to Avon’s WinterWonderGrass Music Festival. ERFPD stands ready to serve when needed and hopes that everyone has an enjoyable and safe experience. To help ensure a safe and enjoyable festival, we would like to remind all commercial property managers and residential property owners and renters in the Town of Avon of the following safety practices:
• All designated marked exits must remain unobstructed and accessible from inside the building at all times
• Doors entering/exiting stairwells must remain shut all times to protect the path of pedestrian egress
• Entrances to parking lots must not be blocked by any type of permanent barriers. Barriers can be of temporary nature but must allow easy access for the Fire Dept. Vehicles must not be used as temporary barriers
• All bars and restaurants must post and follow the occupancy loads that have been established by the Town of Avon Building Department
• If the fire alarm sounds, front desk or maintenance personnel should dial 911 immediately to inform dispatch of the alarm. This will shorten the response time.
A Message from Avon Police Chief
The Avon Police Department is pleased to provide support to the WinterWonderGrass Festival. Our goal is to ensure that attendees have a safe experience while visiting Avon and attending the concert festivities. The Avon Police Department will be present to ensure public safety, control vehicular/pedestrian traffic, and to assist attendees with a variety of needs. Avon officers will be positioned throughout the event venue and will be wearing reflective vests to increase visibility in case assistance is needed. As always, we will also have officers patrolling the Avon and will be ready to respond to any incident throughout the Town. The Avon Police Department and Avon event staff have worked with the WinterWonderGrass organizers to communicate important safety messages to the concertgoers, including:
• Alerting attendees to the likely cold temperatures during an outdoor February event and advising them to prepare accordingly.
• Reminding attendees that the consumption of alcohol should be done in moderation especially when taking into consideration the elevation and cold weather.
• Informing attendees that the consumption of marijuana in public is illegal in Colorado
• Encouraging attendees to designate a sober driver before consuming alcohol and buckle up their seat belts when driving.
Please feel free to contact the Avon Police Department with any questions or concerns that you may have prior to or during the event at 748-4040.
More information on the impacts to road closure, parking lot closures, transportation and parking, etc. can be found on www.avon.org. Event/ticket information is available at www.winterwondergrass.com. For more information on the Avon impacts, please contact Danita Dempsey Special Events Supervisor at 970-748-4032.
We look forward to working with the residential and business community to ensure a fun and exciting event.
Danita Dempsey, Special Event Supervisor