Avon Transit Complies with Federal Public Health Order Mandating Face Mask Wear
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) issued a Public Health Order requiring the wearing of face masks by travelers to prevent the spread of the virus that causes COVID-19. The order requires Avon Transit passengers to wear face masks while waiting for and when riding on our buses. For details, please visit the CDC website.
The following are attributes of masks needed to fulfill the requirements of the Order.
- A properly worn mask completely covers the nose and mouth.
- Cloth masks should be made with two or more layers of a breathable fabric that is tightly woven (i.e., fabrics that do not let light pass through when held up to a light source).
- Mask should be secured to the head with ties, ear loops, or elastic bands that go behind the head. If gaiters are worn, they should have two layers of fabric or be folded to make two layers.
- Mask should fit snugly but comfortably against the side of the face.
- Mask should be a solid piece of material without slits, exhalation valves, or punctures.
The following do not fulfill the requirements of the Order.
- Masks worn in a way that does not cover both the mouth and nose
- Face shields or goggles (face shields or goggles may be worn to supplement a mask that meets above required attributes)
- Scarves, ski masks, balaclavas, or bandannas
- Shirt or sweater collars (e.g., turtleneck collars) pulled up over the mouth and nose.
- Masks made from loosely woven fabric or that are knitted, i.e., fabrics that let light pass through
- Masks made from materials that are hard to breathe through (such as vinyl, plastic or leather)
- Masks containing slits, exhalation valves, or punctures
- Masks that do not fit properly (large gaps, too loose or too tight)
For public health and safety, all passengers must follow the below guidelines:
- Wear a proper face mask over the nose and mouth while using or waiting for the bus (face masks are not required for persons under two years of age)
- If you have a medical condition that prevents you from wearing a face mask, please contact Avon Transit for alternate arrangements
- Board the bus from the back door only to reduce driver exposure
- Maintain 6-feet of physical distance between non-household groups to the greatest extent possible
Avon Transit is required to limit bus capacity to 50% of posted seated capacity. Everyone should maintain 6-feet of physical distance between non-household groups to the greatest extent possible. Drivers may have to skip stops when buses are at capacity. One window on each side of the bus will remain open to maximize ventilation.
Winter schedule information can be obtained from Avon Transit bus operators and online at www.avon.org/transit. Please call Avon Transit Customer Service at (970) 748-4120, or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.