The Building Division is responsible for the enforcement of the building, plumbing, and mechanical codes, as well as certain municipal codes as adopted by the Town Council. The Division reviews and processes permit applications, plan check applications and performs inspections of all construction projects.
- Inspection Request Line: (970) 748-4094
All building permit fees are at the discretion of the Building Official. Please contact the Building Official for questions about permit fees.
In order to perform contractor duties within the Town of Avon, the contractor must be licensed with the Town. Please contact the Community Development Department at (970) 748-4011 if you are unsure as to whether your registration is current or if you need to register. Registration is valid for one (1) year.
- Business and Contractor License Registration
- Contractor Information Packet which has information on Avon’s policies and procedures for the imposition of sales tax on construction materials.
Adopted Building Codes
The Town of Avon has adopted the 2015 editions of the International Building Codes as follows:
- 2015 International Building Code
- 2015 International Residential Code
- 2015 International Energy Conservation Code
- 2015 International Plumbing Code
- 2015 International Fuel Gas Code
- 2015 International Mechanical Code
- 2015 International Fire Code with additions and exceptions( check with Eagle River Fire Protection District )
- 2015 International Property Maintenance Code
- 2015 International Wildland-Urban Interface Code
- 2020 National Electric Code
The Town of Avon has adopted the following minimum standards for construction:
- Frost Depth: 48 inches to the bottom of footings
- Snow Load: 90 lbs for elevations above 8,600 feet; 75 lbs for elevations below 8,600 feet
- Ground Snow Load: 90 lbs for elevations above 8,600 feet; 75 lbs for elevations below 8,600 feet
- Seismic Design: 17B
- Winter Design Temperature: -20 degrees
- Weathering: Severe
- Air Freezing Index: 2,500
- Mean Annual Temperature: 40 degrees
- Wind Speed: 115 mph
- Exposure Category: B, but may be site-specific
- Mean Annual Temperature: 44.5 degrees
For additional standards and code specifics please review Title 15, Buildings and Construction, Avon Municipal Code.