For Immediate Release | August 11, 2017
Report from the August 8th Avon Town Council Meeting
Avon, CO – The Avon Town Council held a regular meeting on August 8th. A few of the meeting’s highlights were as follows:
- Council approved a payment of $60,675.50 from the Capital Projects Fund Contingency line item to Eagle County Schools for parking lot repairs at Avon Elementary School (AES). Repairs to the parking lot at AES are part of Eagle County Schools’ 2016-2019 Bond Capital Construction Program. The Town of Avon and Eagle County Schools entered into a Joint Use Agreement in 1996 that states that annual maintenance of the parking lot shall be equally shared by both parties and Eagle County Schools shall be responsible for the maintenance.
- A Public Hearing was held on a Rezoning Application to apply to the Short Term Rental Overlay (STRO) District to 510 Nottingham Road. Council denied the application, upholding the Planning and Zoning Commission’s recommendation. Council went on to direct staff to initiate a review and public process to consider a STRO District review of the entire Nottingham Road residential corridor.
- Council authorized the Town Manager to issue the Notice of Award for the 2017 Street Improvements Project contract to the low bidder, Oldcastle SW Group, in the amount of $1,073,413. Council also added the Nottingham Road Sidewalk Project to the overall 2017 Street Improvements Project in the amount of $283,900. The Nottingham Road Sidewalk Project will add approximately 650 feet of concrete sidewalk on the north side of Nottingham Road from Buck Creek Road to 0230 Nottingham Road.
- Council held a work session to discuss proposed amendments to the Town’s Landscape Code. The Town of Avon 2017-19 Strategic Plan highlights the Landscape Code, Section 7.28.050 of the Avon Municipal Code for an update. Specifically, the Strategic Plan states:
- Amend the Town’s landscape code to more effectively replace vegetation which has been removed
- With the expertise of the UERWA, develop outdoor landscape guidelines/regulations to reduce water use and off-site impacts, such as fertilizer run-off, which can affect the Eagle River
- Assess the Town's public tree stock in the park and in right-of-ways for timely replacement
- Proactively ensure trees on public and private property do not host and spread viruses; remove dead trees with a well-developed landscape program
Next steps include public notification and a hearing before the Planning and Zoning Commission, followed by Town Council consideration of an ordinance to amend the Town’s Landscape Code.
All Town Council meetings can be streamed live or viewed online in the days following the meeting at www.highfivemedia.org/watch
. The Town Council’s next meeting is August 22nd
at 5:00 p.m. Agendas and packet materials can be found at www.avon.org
. For more information on the August 8th
meeting or future meetings, please contact Preston Neill, Executive Assistant to the Town Manager at 970-748-4404 or firstname.lastname@example.org
# # #