For Immediate Release | July 13, 2017
Report from the July 11th Avon Town Council Meeting
Polystyrene food containers, short term rental compliance, East Avon Preserve annexation discussed
Avon, CO – The Avon Town Council held a regular meeting on July 11th. Highlights of the meeting include the following:
- Council discussed a proposed ordinance that would prohibit food vendors in the Town of Avon from using polystyrene-based disposable food containers. The proposed ordinance stems from a recommended policy in the Climate Action Plan for the Eagle County Community (CAP), which reflects a strong commitment to reduce the community’s greenhouse gas emissions. Additionally, the 2017-2018 Strategic Plan includes a “Tier 1” priority to consider legislation to end the use of plastic bags and non-compostable take-out containers by retailers and restaurants in the Town of Avon. Council provided direction to staff to conduct more outreach to Avon businesses to make them aware of the initiative and give them the opportunity to participate in the discussion. First reading of the ordinance was set for the September 12, 2017 Council meeting.
- Council approved Resolution 17-13, referring a ballot question concerning municipal broadband service authorization and authorizing the Town Clerk to sign an intergovernmental agreement with Eagle County to conduct a coordinated mail ballot election. There is a statutory requirement for municipalities to seek voter authorization to allow municipal broadband activities. Many municipalities and counties in Colorado have sought and obtained voter approval for local government broadband authorization.
- A one year service agreement between the Town and Host Compliance Services LLC was approved, for which Host Compliance agrees to provide short-term rental compliance monitoring, as well as rental activity monitoring and tax collection support.
- Council approved Resolution 17-14, amending the 2017 General Fund budget. The changes include funding for projects within the Engineering, Public Works, Special Events and Finance departments.
- Council discussed the process to annex the “East Avon Preserve” property, which was acquired from the U.S. Forest Service in 2013. Direction was provided to Town staff to commence the petition for annexation by sending an impact notice to Eagle County and preparing an ordinance to bring before Council in August.
All Town Council meetings can be streamed live or viewed online in the days following the meeting at www.highfivemedia.com/watch
. The Town Council’s next meeting is July 25th
at 5:00 p.m. Agendas and packet materials can be found at www.avon.org
. For more information on the July 11th
meeting or future meetings, please contact Preston Neill, Executive Assistant to the Town Manager at 970-748-4404 or email@example.com
# # #