For Immediate Release | June 19, 2017
Avon Recreation Center to Host Pickleball Tournament June 24th
Paddle sport is picking up momentum in the Vail Valley
Avon, CO – Pickleball is a paddle sport for all ages and all athletic abilities. On Saturday, June 24th, the Avon Recreation Center will host a Sweet 16-King of the Court Style Tournament on the courts adjacent to Avon Elementary School. The cost is $20 per player, and pre-registration is required. Each player will play in eight different random partnership matches. Registration ends June 21st.
- Each individual will be partnered off and matched up against different random groupings.
- Each grouping will play best 2 out of 3 games to 11, winning by 2
- Matches are expected to last about 45 minutes. 1 game to 15 approximately 30 minutes.
- At the end of 8 matches/games, the individual with the best record wins.
- If there is a tie, points will be counted. For example: If player A and player B are tied with a 12-2 record. The individual that scored the most points on the lost game wins.
- First – Third place prizes will be awarded
- This is a coed Sweet 16 (males and females together)
Pickleball was invented in the mid 1960’s as a children’s backyard pastime and is one of the fastest growing sports in North America. It combines elements of Badminton, Tennis and Ping-Pong, but it’s basically oversized Ping-Pong! Played on a Badminton sized court, a paddle is used to keep a polymer (plastic) ball going back and forth over the net. Games can be played as singles or doubles, and Pickleball has very simple rules and is easy to learn and play!
For more information, please contact Matt Koch, Adult Programs Coordinator, at 970-748-4057 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
# # #