First CALEA Accredited Agency
The Avon Police Department is registered with the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies, Inc., (CALEA®), and is in the self assessment process to become the first CALEA accredited agency in Western Colorado.
- Strengthen crime prevention and control capabilities; Increase community and staff confidence in the agency.
- Formalize essential management procedures;
- Establish fair and nondiscriminatory personnel practices;
- Improve service delivery;
- Solidify interagency cooperation and coordination; and
- Increase community and staff confidence in the agency.
The accreditation process will provide the Avon Police Department an opportunity to voluntarily demonstrate that it meets an established set of professional standards which:
- Require an agency to develop a comprehensive, well thought out, uniform set of written directives. This is one of the most successful methods for reaching administrative and operational goals, while also providing direction to personnel.
- Provide the necessary reports and analysis the Chief of Police needs to make fact-based, informed management decisions.
- Require a preparedness program be put in place - so an agency is ready to address natural or man-made critical incidents.
- Provides a means for developing or improving upon an agency's relationship with the community.
- Strengthen an agency's accountability, both within the agency and the community, through a continuum of standards that clearly define authority, performance, and responsibilities.
- Can limit an agency's liability and risk exposure because it demonstrates that internationally recognized standards for law enforcement have been met, as verified by a team of independent outside CALEA-trained assessors.
- Facilitates an agency's pursuit of professional excellence.
- Avon accomplished accreditation in the CALEA Recognition program in Scottsdale, AZ July 21, 2012